As delineated in the Harvard International Academy Student-Parent Handbook, all absences must be reported to the Front Office within 48 hours of the absence in order for it to be excused. After 3 consecutive absences, only a physician's note will be accepted to excuse the absences.
To excuse your student's absence please complete the Student Absence Note on the Parent Tab or click on the link below:
Students must be in school unless the absence has been permitted or excused for one of the reasons listed below.
1. Illness of student.
2. Illness of an immediate family member.
3. Death in the family.
4. Religious holidays of the student's own faith.
5. Required court appearance or subpoena by a law enforcement agency.
6. Scheduled medical or dental appointment.
1. How do I get my child’s absence excused?
Parents send a note to the school stating the reason that caused or will cause the student’s absence.
2. Is there a deadline to get absences excused? Parents have 2 days (48 hours) in which to report an absence.
3. What are the acceptable reasons for an excused absence?
Students must be in school unless the absence has been permitted or excused for one of the reasons listed below (F.S. 1003.24(4), 1003.26)
4. What should I do if the school records my child’s absence as unexcused when it was an excused absence?
Immediately contact the school and provide documentation with a request to have the absence corrected. Follow up with the school administrator if necessary.
5. Can my child make up work for any absences?
Make-up work shall be accepted for full credit and grade for excused and unexcused absences. All make-up work must be submitted within two days upon return to the missed class, not including the day of return, for each day of an absence. When assignments and appropriate instruction are provided prior to the absence, make-up work (including major projects) is due on the day of return to the missed class. Under extenuating circumstances and at teacher’s discretion, additional time may be allowed.
6. How much time does my child have to submit make‐up work?
Students are allowed two days from the date of return, to complete and submit the make‐up work.However, work missed due to a suspension is due on the first back in school after the suspension
7. Will the teachers provide my child with the make‐up work?
Teachers will have the make‐up work available but it is the student and family’s responsibility to get the make‐up work. Options include accessing the work on‐line, picking up the work at school or by getting notes and assignments from classmates.